top of page

Breaking news: The IRCC has decided against renewing the temporary measure for off-campus work hours.

Immigration Minister Marc Miller has announced that the temporary measure allowing international students with off-campus work authorization to work more than 20 hours per week will not be renewed. Instead, starting this fall, international students in Canada will be permitted to work up to 24 hours per week while classes are in session. This decision comes unexpectedly, as last December, IRCC had hinted at the possibility of expanding off-campus work hours for international students to 30 hours per week.

Today, the Minister emphasized that allowing international students to work 30 hours per week during the academic year could harm their academic performance. He stated that limiting off-campus work hours could discourage students who primarily seek to work in Canada from applying for study permits. Additionally, he noted that the recently increased cost of living requirement for international students suggests that 24 hours of work per week would likely suffice.

Furthermore, to study in Canada as an international student, applicants must demonstrate savings of $20,635 in addition to tuition costs. International students currently on academic breaks can work unlimited hours, while those attending summer classes must adhere to the 20 hours per week limit.

The recent announcement regarding off-campus work hours for international students is part of a series of changes to Canada's international student program aimed at improving its integrity. Notably, students now need a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) from the province of their designated learning institution (DLI) to obtain a study permit. This change is part of a cap on the number of study permits IRCC will process in 2024. Additionally, the department is working on implementing the Trusted Institutions Framework for DLIs, aiming to identify institutions that provide sufficient support to international students.

International students aiming to work off-campus during their academic year must meet specific criteria:

1. They must possess a valid study permit.

2. They must be enrolled full-time at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

3. They must have commenced their studies at the DLI and maintain satisfactory academic standing.

4. They must be enrolled in an academic, vocational, or professional training program lasting at least six months and leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate.

5. They must possess a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN).

During academic breaks, students can work unlimited hours in Canada as long as they are enrolled to resume full-time studies in the upcoming semester.

0 views0 comments


bottom of page