top of page

Canada’s work permit pathways for dependent children of age

Canada recently announced a new policy that allows dependent children of temporary foreign workers (TFWs) to be eligible for work permits. This measure aims to combat chronic labor shortages in the country and provide more opportunities for families to stay together and integrate into Canadian communities.

Under the new policy, family members who meet certain criteria will be eligible for a work permit. This includes spouses, common-law partners, and dependent children of work permit holders who are in a job of any Training, Education, Experience, and Responsibilities (TEER) category, or who are the principal applicants (of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Mobility Program) and have an open work permit (OWP). It also includes family members of economic class permanent resident applicants who hold a work permit.

However, family members of workers in TEER 4 or 5 jobs under the low-wage stream of the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program and the Agricultural Stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) are not eligible at this time.

1 view0 comments
bottom of page